The Maltese Community Council of Victoria, Inc. (MCCV) is a non-profit organisation which provides social, cultural, recreational and welfare support to all members of the Maltese Community in the State of Victoria. The MCCV is an umbrella organisation for some thirty Maltese associations which are currently affiliated to it.
The MCCV was established on Saturday 6 July 1958 on the initiative of the Austral-Malta Association. There were one or two delegates from the Austral-Malta Association, Maltese Settlers Association, Malta Migrants Catholic Association, Melita Social Club, Melfare Club, George Cross Soccer Club, Melita Soccer Club, St. Fidelis Soccer Club, Ex-service Association, 17th Melbourne 1st Malta Boys Scouts Group, Star of the Sea Dramatic Company, and the monthly publication “Malta”.
The first meeting was held in St. Mary’s Mission House in Parkville, Melbourne, which was the home of the priests of the Missionary Society of St. Paul (MSSP). The Superior of the Order and Spiritual Leader of the Maltese community in Melbourne, Fr. Onoratius Galea, MSSP, generously made the venue available for the meeting. Together with several other priests of the Society, Fr Galea was among those who strove for the establishment and the success of the MCCV. Among those present at the inaugural meeting were the High Commissioner of Malta, Captain George Stivala OBE who attended as an official observer and was elected Patron by acclamation. The agenda for the first meeting included the selection of a name for the new organisation, the establishment of a Maltese cultural and recreational centre, a Maltese radio programme and general elections.