On Sunday 3 July 2011 the Maltese Community in Victoria suffered the loss of one of its very active members when Joe Abela of Glenroy passed away at the age of 73years.
Joe married his wife Doris on 14 September 1958 in Malta and they arrived in Australia on the Feast of Maria Bambina (8 September) in 1963.
Joe Abela was a well known member of the Maltese community in Melbourne, as a result of his extensive and valuable contribution to its well being. His several contributions include:
- Founding the St Catherine Assocation and serving as its President for many years;
- Establishing the Malta-Gozo Band and serving as its President for a long time;
- Membership of the Hadfield Maltese Association for many years;
- Membership of the Committee of the Tini Idejk project that raised funds for the construction of the Maltese Community Centre at Parkville;
- Membership of the St George Preca Committee: it was his suggestion that the Maltese Community Council of Victoria write to the Archbishop of Melbourne, Monsignor Dennis Hart, to seek his consent for the erection of the St George Preca’s monument at St. Patricks Cathedral, which now holds pride of place in the Cathedral grounds.
In his various capacities Joe was always at the forefront of helping people of a Maltese background.
Joe is survived by his widow Doris and their six children.
The MCCV extends its condolences to Doris and her family. Joe shall be sadly missed but we will remember him in our prayers.