The Maltese Community Council of Victoria has organised the Maltese Cultural Festival 2016 which consists of a number of events that are being held in Melbourne during September. The Festival commences with the celebration of the Feast of Maria Bambina on 8th and 11th September and concludes on Sunday 25th September with a lunchtime restaurant. Most of the events will be held at the Maltese Community Centre in Parkville.
The Maltese community in Victoria is urged to support the Maltese Cultural Festival to ensure its success. The Festival provides a great opportunity for the community to come together to celebrate our Maltese heritage, history and culture of which we are all so proud.
Program of Events
The full program of events is as follows:
- Thursday, 8th September – Maria Bambina Mass will be celebrated at St. Paul’s Chapel in Parkville at 7.00 p.m. Refreshments will be served afterwards at the Maltese Community Centre.
- Sunday, 11th September – Maria Bambina Feast day will be celebrated at St. Mary’s Star of the Sea Church, Howard Street, West Melbourne. The Rosary will be recited at 2.30 p.m. followed by a Concelebrated Mass, the Procession with the statue of Maria Bambina and then Benediction.
- Saturday, 17th September – “Open Invitation” – At the Maltese Community Centre in Parkville the Klabb Għannejja Maltin together with Manwel Casha and the Girgenti Group will be holding an evening session of Maltese għana and music from 7.00 p.m. until 10.00 p.m. This is a genuinely Maltese Night not to be missed. Entry is free of charge. Everyone is welcome.
- Sunday, 18th September – “Open Invitation” – At the Maltese Community Centre in Parkville the Maltese Literature Group Inc. will be presenting Maltese Prose and Poetry to be read by members of the Group. The program includes traditional Maltese folklore music. Time: 2.00 p.m. until 4.00 p.m. Refreshments will be served at the end of the program. Entry is free of charge. Everyone is welcome.
- Tuesday 20th September – At the Maltese Community Centre in Parkville the Maltese Historical Association Inc. will be hosting a presentation session on Celebrating the Building of Valletta. In 2018 Valletta will be celebrated as the European Capital of Culture. A program of special events and projects developed with various local and international communities will be held in Malta during 2018.- For more information visit: http://valletta2018.org Time: 7.30 p.m. till 9.30 p.m. Refreshments will be served following the presentation. Entry is free of charge. Everyone is welcome.
- Wednesday, 21st September – The Maltese Community Council of Victoria will be celebrating Malta’s Independence Day with a Cocktail Party at the Maltese Community Centre in Parkville at 7.00 p.m. It’s a significant day in the history of our country of birth, so let us all celebrate and have a drink together. Donation $22 per person
- Sunday 25th September – Mass at 12 noon at St. Paul’s Chapel in Parkville. After Mass, Lunchtime Restaurant at the Maltese Community Centre in Parkville with a Braġoli (beef olives) meal, anti-pasta and dessert with wine and soft drinks. A good social outing and music to dance to for a fun afternoon. Tables of 10 or eight are available. Entrance Fee $35
For more information contact the Maltese Community Centre on (03) 9387 8922
Click here to download the program of events in PDF format.